Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fractions

Status
Not open for further replies.

vepz

Technical User
May 3, 2005
US
I search but found nothing about inputting fractions into a table. I need to input fractions of an inch into a table. I would like to be able to enter fractions with denominators from 1/2 to 1/16. I am sure this has come up before. I can do this in Excel but not in Access.

Thanks,

Greg

You may consider the Eval function.

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Not exactly sure how to use eval function. This one is new to me. What I would like to do is be able to enter a length like 4'-6 3/4" and have the value returned as linear feet(4.5625 ft). If you could explain how to use the eval to accomplish this, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Greg

While the math is quite straightforward, the discipline (for data entry) is quite difficult. How are you going to enforce the specific syntax / style of entry? The entries would generlly vary in style / syntax over the group of users and even with the same user over time, so parseing the entries will be the more difficult aspect.

The basic math is just the Feet, inches and fraction reduced to a common denominator or units and summed and (presumably) saved and re-displayed.

MichaelRed

Instead of one field that may have all types of typos as MichaelRed suggested, and this is also true for Excel, why not have three comboboxes? One displays feet, one inches, one the fractions. Then a user can choose AND change as they want with no typos. After entry, you can then do the math to convert.

It is, at best difficult, to place fractions in a textbox control. Ms. A. has a penchant for reducing the expression to a decimal numeric value.

MichaelRed

The person entering similar data used a letter designation for each fraction. Like w=1/16, e=1/8... I wopuld like to use a similar system to enter the fractions into its own field. How do I convert the letter designation into a numerical value and how do I display the fraction rather than the equivalent letter?

Thanks,

Greg

I move the question to the Forms Forum.

Thanks

Again, why not use a combobox with a value list? Then on selection of a letter, you'd have code convert to the numeric.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back