Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FQDN works on workstations, but not the server... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThunderBearer

IS-IT--Management
Aug 12, 2005
US
I'm running a Win2K server almost as a stand-alone, with AD, DNS, and DHCP. While adding a second server into the domain, I ran into a problem with DFS, where it requires a fully qualified domain name to work. Apparently all of the workstations that I've tried, when I ping the server, or another workstation, will respond with the FQDN. However, when I go back to the server, a ping will not produce the FQDN, but rather just the short name.

For instance... from a workstation:
ping server responds with server.domain.com
ping wkstn responds with wkstn.domain.com

From the server:
ping wkstn responds with wkstn
ping server2 responds with server2
ping server responds with server

Anyone ever run into this???

Add the DNS domain name to the DNS suffix in your TCP/IP properties of your network card on your new machine. Since your adding a second server, you must give it a fixed IP, so you will not be querying the DHCP for all of the network details you need, which includes the domain name.

Your 2nd server must also have all the TCP/IP information about the DNS and WINS configured.

In space, nobody can hear you click

I found that adding Server1, which housed DNS, to the list in the DNS servers to use (under network TCP/IP properties), resolved this namin issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back