Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FQDN in NT

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunt

MIS
Nov 6, 2002
US
Hi,
I am using the nw internally that means the server and client only got the computer name, they don't have the domain name configured. Is it necessary to have FQDN for each backup server and client?
for example:
I got :
SERVER-A
CLIENT-B
CLIENT-C
Do I need to configure them like the following in NT network prrperties:
SERVER-A.myoffice.mycompany
CLIENT-B.myoffice.mycompany
CLIENT-C.myoffice.mycompany

Thanks

Hi

This is not the correct forum to ask this question.
Anyway it is not necessary to have FQDN in NT Workgroup setup and what is your requirement?

BTW how do you differentiate in workgroup setup like yours Server and Client? (are you reffering NT server and 98 clients?)

JSiva Om Maha Ganapathiye Namaga!

Hi,
I am using networker and from legato's requirement we need to set both short name (computer name) and FQDN for the networker to work properly. I am not sure in NT enviornment whether I need to set the FQDN for my backup servers and backup client(also nt server) to fit the legato requirement.
Thanks

No it is not necessary to have FQDN defined.

I am not a NT person, but I have seen customers with NT environments that do not use FQDN, and they use a WINS server?

For NetWorker, when you create a client, it first tries to resolve the client name to an i.p. address. Also during bakups and recoveries, it needs to be able to resolve i.p. back to a host name.

As long as it is able to do this, then it should work.

Hi,

I found it helpful to use the hostname as the client name and define the fqdn as an alias for the client. This makes the naming of the clients a little more readable...
If you are working in a DNS environment, NetWorker will resolve the hostname forward end reverse as a test before creating the client, which normally results in a fqdn, and then will use the fqdn as the client name. Additionally the host name will automatically be added as an alias.

Hi,

If youn don't do F.Q.D.N and use a host file when you DHCP,WINS,DNS servers fial so will your backup!! It is up to you but it is highly recommend.
If you don't have control of the scope of DNS server or control or switches and their tables then YOU want to make sure your host file does F.Q.D.N.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back