Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FP loses work/program closes while saving

Status
Not open for further replies.

peezer

Instructor
Mar 21, 2003
US
I have a classroom lab that is networked. When students try to save their work, two things are occurring sporadically. As students click to save, all of their work is automatically deleted with no questions asked. They are left with a blank page. Other students click save and FP just completely closes. This is frustrating for students and me. I will be appreciative of any advice you have to offer.

Are you using CSS? If you don't set CSS, then it saves OK. Do the CSS in notepad or do it in FP, copy the CSS and save it in notepad, exit and let FP crash then start it up again. Happens in FP2000. I don't know about FPXP

I used to have that problem, and it only occurred in FP2000. It seemed to go away in FP-XP and haven't seen it in FP2003 either. At the time I used FP2000, I searched routinely for the cause at to no avail, but maybe there is something there now.

Aside from upgrading the versions of FP everyone is using, here is the workaround I used:
1) I noticed it was only occurring when using the 'save as' function, usually after starting with a generic new page.
2) I saved a blank page as "_template.htm" and instead of opening a new blank page, I copied that file to a new page.
3) I then renamed the new copied page to whatever the page name was I intended to use.
4) I opened my new page under the correct file name, made my changes, then used the 'Save' command instead of 'Save As'.

A little lengthy, but it worked every time and never saw that problem again.

As to the cause, it happened when I brought up the 'Save As' dialog box and it seemed to hang while displaying the remote directory and file list. I believe the server was timing out while in the middle of retrieving the lengthy file structure, as I don't remember it happening when starting from a subdirectory with few files in it. Maybe if you tried changing the time-out values per connection on the webserver, just a thought.

*NOTE* When creating a new page using the File>New>Page command, choosing 'Save' calls the 'Save As' command anyhow, so you would still be correct that it happens during the 'Save' process, even though it isn't likely to happen when using 'Save' in my method.

Jim Schuuz
{ F1 = my.friend
}

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back