Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FP 2002 database connection file type problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmgrn

Programmer
Nov 28, 2001
US
I am trying to connect an MS Access 97 database to my FrontPage 2002 web site I am creating on my local hard drive.
In FP, I select Tools > Web Settings... and then in the settings window I select the Database tab and the Add option.
The next window, "New Database Connection", is where I enter my connection name and select the connection type "File or Folder in Current Web".
My problem is that when I select Browse to find my database, the browse window, "Database Files in Current Web", shows no available file types (like *.mdb), has an empty drop-down list and won't allow me to type an entry.
I know my database is there but the window is blank and I have no clue how to get around the blank file type option.
There is a URL text box that I used to directly type my path but when I try to "Verify" the connection I get a "Database Connection Error" window that says "The server encountered an error while processing a database request."
I am not sure if the missing file types and verify error are related problems or separate problems.
I ran into this situation while trying to follow the examples in chapter 10 (on databases) in my FrontPage 2002 Step by Step manual. The manual was clear but their database was not shown for selection when the example led me there.
I created my own web site and database then tried again on my own and got the same results.
I ran repair on FP and still got nowhere.
Finally, I uninstalled and reinstalled (complete) FP but it has made no difference.
I also tried with/without MS Personal Web Server installed, both running and not running.
I am running Win98 SE.
Has anyone else had this or a simliar problem?
Thanks for your time and consideration in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back