Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Foxpro Multi-Threading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff80

Programmer
Aug 18, 2005
US
Does anyone know much about multi-threading in Foxpro?

I have a program that evaluates a table with articles in it against another table with various keywords. I scan over the articles, and search for keyword matches. This process, at times, can become very time-consuming, so I've been trying to improve performance by running the program in multiple threads - each thread focusing on its own subset of articles.

I've been trying to use MTmyVFP found at Once I install it, I ran the example they provide. It appears to work, but ThreadLog.dbf does not update.

Are there any other solutions out there for multi-threading in Foxpro?

Hi Jeff

I have occassionally used multithreading, It won't speed up your machine unless you are using multiple processors.

If you have a single processor the machine will time slice and swap to the other thread.

If you had access to several machines you could run a different search on each machine but if it is using a single server you could still have a bottleneck.

Several years ago I was working in a bank and tried a little experiment

sum amount to lnAmount for custcode = 'XXXXX' I had to get 20000 records out of 6m.

Without the correct index it took quite a while with a simple index on custcode I had the answer before I could get my finger off the enter key.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back