Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FoxPro database from Windows NT to Mac OSX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow38x

Technical User
May 28, 2001
US
We have a "legacy" application which was written for us in FoxPro 2.6 by a former employee and is running on a Windows NT Server which is getting very, very old.

We are a Mac-based design firm. Because of its age and my relative inexperience with Windows NT, I would like to dump the NT and migrate to a Mac OSX Server which I am currently setting up. From what I am given to understand, the OSX Server will allow for sharing files and network printing from our Windows machines. The only other use we have for the NT Server is for running two programs: the "legacy" FoxPro estimating software, and Peachtree accounting software.

At an OSX introductory seminar, I asked about the feasibility of placing the Peachtree and FoxPro files on the OSX server and was told that the file structure should be compatible, but that FoxPro requires file locking, which the OSX server doesn't support. I was told a software solution called "Extreme IP" (or something like that) would allow the OSX server to support file locking.

Does anyone have any experience with this software? Is that the right name for it? I haven't been able to come across it or its manufacturer anywhere.

Any input on this is welcome. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back