Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Foxpro COM Object and Studio.NET

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtatum

MIS
Jul 19, 2002
US
First, I am sure that this question is more suited for a .NET Forum; however, I have yet to have any response in other forums, so I thought try this forum???

I have a foxpro com object that I am calling from Studio.NET (specifically VB.NET). I developed the application on an XPPro machine that I also used as my Webserver. You can create and release the object with no problems. However, now that I have moved it to production on 2000 Server, the Com object will build up numerous processes in the process list before releasing them sporadically. I read up on garbage collection and even added a call to the the garbage collector to collect (GC.Collect()) after I released the object. Still nothing.

The real problem comes on extremely busy nights when this can build up too many processes and lockout the webpage until the processes release, which usually happens sometime between the lockout and the phone call to our helpdesk. By this time, the processes have released, I have the user reboot the unit and log back in and everything works okay.

Any ideas to force the object to release?

Thanks

rtatum,

Since you say that processes are building up I am assuming that you are talking about an Out-of-process COM server (EXE) here? Maybe the problem or solution is with the COM object and not your .NET side. Since the processes do eventually stop and release their resources, it doesn't sound like an outstanding reference to me though. Have you tried collecting garbage only in the generation in which the object exists? GC.Collect(0) <- For instance but probably won't result in a solution. Interesting problem, haven't heard of that one before and a quick search of the web didn't yield any matches for me either. If I figure something out for you I will post back, and if you solve it let us know what it was.

Slighthaze = NULL

[ul][li]FAQ184-2483
An excellent guide to getting a fast and accurate response to your questions in this forum.[/li][/ul]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back