Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FoxPro 2.6 on Win2000 - Cannot write to COM1 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

softlink

Programmer
May 29, 2003
US
Replaced Win98 platform with Win2000. A label printer (DYMO/CoStar) is on COM1. Using to print envelope labels for merchandise. Was working fine until the switch.
Executing
SET PRINTER TO COM1
??? "Data to Print"
generates a System Error:
"Cannot write to device COM1"

I have loaded a generic / text driver on COM1 which I did not need with Win98. Still the same error.

DO a Keyword Search on:
DOS 2000
DOS XP
FPD 2000
PRINT 2000
to find numerous postings on this and related subjects.

Yes, Win 2000 and Win XP will not let applications get directly to hardware ports such as COMn or LPTn

But, by reading the other postings as suggested, you will find some approaches to resolving the issue.

Your BEST approach would be to re-develop the application in Visual Foxpro and alleviate the port access problem.

Good Luck,

JRB-Bldr
VisionQuest Consulting
Business Analyst & CIO Consulting Services
CIOServices@yahoo.com

JRB...

I'm running FPD 2.6 in XP Pro, and my code has many references to SET PRINTER TO LPT1 and LPT2 (through an add-on parallel PCI card). LPT1 has a Brother Laser with Epson emulation and LPT2 an ancient Epson dot-matrix printer. I've no problem printing to either of these printers using these commands, which are assigned LPT1 and LPT2 respectively in XP Pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back