Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FoxPro 2.6 Arrays 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

PAL Thai

Technical User
Jun 15, 2021
TH
As an old-time user (77 years old) of FoxPro 2.6 (Yeah! I know it's sort of ancient, but so am I [tongue] ), I'm interested in finding solutions for better understanding and using arrays within some of the programs I've created in the the past. Despite lots of time searching the Internet, I've found no real assistance. The Tek-Tips with its specific forum for FPW 2.6 may bring some clarity to my search.

I can use the FPW 2.6 arrays, but would like to see their content (and makeup) on my screen to validate some of the activity several of my programs that have use the arrays. Is there some way that I can use the FPW 2.6 commands to view the contents of arrays already created?

There must be lots of FPW enthusiasts on this forum that can advise me or point me in the right direction to accomplish my present task, i.e. viewing the content of an array on the screen.

Looking forward to working with you all! PAL Thai

*--simple, quick command
At the command window type:
set console on
*-- the array name
? <arrayname>

Edgar
Integrated Bar Code Systems, Inc.

To view the contents of an array on your screen, issue DISP MEMO LIKE arrayname.

Tamar

For fitedgar & TamarGranor: It sure seems like I came to the right place! Both of yoou have provided prompt and very simple keys to unlock the task that has been puzzling me for almost a whole week.

I will put the suggestions to the test and report back within a day or so as several other more urgent family needs have popped up!

Many thanks for the helping hands you've provided to an old man... PAL Thai [thumbsup2]

For viewing the contents of an array, I like to the Debugger. Type the name of the array in the Watch window, and you will see a nice scrollable list, not only of the contents of the array but also the data type of each element. You can even use it to manually edit the array.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

For fitedgar & TamarGranor: Many thanks for your suggestions. fitedgars' gave me the first element of the array and TamarGranor's gave me the whole array! From there, I was able to see the contents of the array just as I had hoped for from right within FoxPro.

For Mike Lewis: Thanks to you too for a different approach - the Debugger. Frankly, the Debugger struck me as a useful new tool but being a bit beyond my simple needs. Not to say that I might be attracted to delve into it at a later time under different conditions.

I am most pleased with everybody's willingness to share their experiences with those of us who still get sidetracked by problems that cause bottlenecks in the work flow. It's very comforting to know the Tek-Tips community is just around the corner so to speak!

One final observation: how does one quickly get back to a thread in order to read all its posts and to add further replies? That gave me the runaround, but I'm sure there must be a trick to getting back to one's thread very quickly!

Once I hear back about that, I believe we can close this topic, if you advise me how that's done. Cheerio!

how does one quickly get back to a thread in order to read all its posts and to add further replies?

As you will have seen, the main page of each forum contains a list of threads. These are in chronological order, that is, the threads that have been most recently updated appear at the top of the list. And if a thread has been updated since your last visit, its title appears in bold.

It is also possible for you to arrange to receive an email when a given thread has been updated. I see you have already done that for the current thread.

And, of course, it is possible to bookmark the thread if you think you will be visiting it frequently.

I believe we can close this topic, if you advise me how that's done.

There is no way to close a topic. As a thread become less active, it moves down the list and will eventually move off the first page, but it can still be found and added to. Topics that don't receive a post for six months are automatically closed.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

I'm reminded how I learned about the forums inner working, as I asked how to do code sections in thread184-1806597,

As Griff pointed out the square bracket tag, I immediately was reminded of the good old bulletin board codes. Now I also know why threads you find are closed sometimes.
To add to that: At the bottom of such a thread, you still find a link "Click Here To Start A New Thread Referencing This One" and thereby can start a new thread that refers to the old thread.

You have no own control over closing your threads, but you can reward posts with the pink "Great post" star. This way future reads can easier find answers, also the thread listing can be sorted by number of stars received. That way some threads also become important or famous.

Chriss

ATTN: Mike

O.K. I've got all that and will certainly visit again as the needs arise.

Cheers from Thailand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back