Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Foxpro 2.5 EXE Config.fpw file

Status
Not open for further replies.

MelindaPeirce

Programmer
Nov 30, 2001
US
I have Foxpro 2.5 running from a network location and a copy running from my local drive. Here's the problem. neither of the Foxprow.exe files is being run with any command line switches, but somehow, the config file is being set to a "homegrown" fpw called "harddisk.fpw". There is a "config.fpw" file in the network directory, but the app seems to bypass it for this other file.

Foxpro was installed here long before I worked here, so I don't know of any specific installation changes that may have been done.

Is it possible to modify the EXE file to point to a specific FPW? Is there any other way to force that besides a command line switch?

Thanks for any help.
Melinda

Melinda,
I believe the "order" FPW uses to choose a config file is the following:
1) -c<filename> on the shortcut commandline
2) Environment variable FOXPROSWX
3) Config.FPW file in the directory of the FPW .EXE

Rick

Let me just add to Rick's posts. For #3, even if you have 'Start in' in your .PIF or .LNK set to the network drive, Fox will grab the config.fpw located wherever the .EXE resides, even if there is one on the network.
Fox will also only default to using 'config.fpw', so if it's using a config file by another name, it has been directed there by using a command line switch or as #2 said, the environment variable FOXPROSWX.
Dave S.
[cheers]

Thanks for the info. I did finally find the environment variable in my Registry, but it never showed in my environment dialog box in the My Computer / Properties.... Thing is I don't know how it got set... that will bear some further looking into.

Thanks for all the good information.

Melinda

Look for a FOXPRO.INI file in your WINNT or WINDOWS directory. It may have a reference in there, as might CONFIG.SYS or CONFIG.NT.
Dave S.
[cheers]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back