Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FoxPro 2.5 and Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

dstema

Programmer
May 6, 2001
US
I'm using an old DOS based SBT application on fox 2.5 with Windows ME and I want to upgrade to Windows XP. Does anyone know if they are compatible. If they are, what do I have to set up on the new XP system in order to be able to run my DOS based fox application?

Thanks

Well, we run a 20 odd user Foxpro 2.6 for Dos application across our Win2k SBS network. Most clients are win95/98 but I have one client using winXP and I experienced no congiguration differences/problems whatsoever.

Both I and others have noticed that sometimes using either the FoxPro DOS developer environment or a FPD application running under XP, it will grab 100% of the processor usage and "lockup" the machine. Since I've only needed it for demonstrations and I have a dual processor system, I just kill the application and fire it up again. I haven't had the time to track down the cause or a work out a solution. I haven't even tried running it in one of the older OS compatibiity modes - which may be the "fix".

I'm not saying that your application won't work, but it may have problems - especially if the app uses any .BIN or .PLB files that directly access the hardware.

Rick

Further to previous post, I ought to point out that we are running fully patched foxprox 2.6. (extended) and the app has been compiled into a .app not an .exe. We didnt have to mess about trying it in compatibilty mode either.
(I've not tried running the devolper environment on the XP client yet).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back