Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fox Pro-automatically unlocking tables.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpropson

IS-IT--Management
Jul 15, 2004
US
Hello,
First of all, I'm not a Fox Pro developer. Our Foxpro guys are always telling us that certain procedures fail to run at night because somebody has a table opened (and locked, I suppose).

Are there not ways to force users out and unlock tables before any other procudures run on the database at night?

We are running Fox Pro 7.

Your insight is greatly appreciated.

Yes, you can do this, but it has to be implemented within the application. You mentioned that you are not a Fox programmer, so you will have to get your Fox guys to do it.

Basically, they need to add code to the user's application that periodically checks some external condition, such as the existence of a certain file. When that condition is true, the code will close all the tables and gracefully exit the application (it might also warn the user it is going to do that, perhaps with a timeout while they reply, but that's not the main issue).

Then, when you (the administrator) wants to kick everyone off, you just place the specified file (or whatever) in the appropriate location.

This is a fairly common technique. If your developer doesn't know how to do it, have them stop by here, and we can give them more details.,

Mike

My sites:
Visual FoxPro (www.ml-consult.demon.co.uk)
Crystal Reports (www.ml-crystal.com)

Hi

This could be of help..

A way to force Users out of your VFP application.
faq184-3152

I have been using the code to enable backups or such systems shut downs for years. The trick is to create the DoShut.txt in the example created by the code on the fly.

:)

This is yet another FAQ which could be of help.

How do I auto release or shut application on inactivity ?
faq184-4467

:-}

Thanks a lot for the information....this is all that's needed? Wow, it looks fairly easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back