Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fox Pro 2.6D

Status
Not open for further replies.

petreco

IS-IT--Management
Oct 1, 2002
GB
I have no knowledge of Fox pro, but I would like to see how
the Fox pro database is created.
i.e. the menue, links, and all the files which relate to the database.
My aim is to create new databse with Visual Basic, but I would like to see how Fox pro is created.

Hi Patreco,

Suggest you get on to VFP7 and not FP2.6D. You are trying to see 2 different things. One is VisualBasic.. and if you can work on that, you can work on VFP which is far more a rich environment than FPD2.6. FPD continues for legacy support and I would not surely recommend while VFP is available.

Again, once you start in VFP I am sure you will not look for VB unless the other needs make you look for that and not for considering if VFP or VB the great!.

:)
ramani :)
(Subramanian.G),FoxAcc, ramani_g@yahoo.com

Sounds Like your starting from ground zero...

If thats the case and your planning on using VB as your development language you might consider working with MS Access and "VBA" however if you have your heart set on Foxpro I agree with Ramani you should start with Visual Foxpro 6 or 7. Its much more robust and you can use some of the internal wizards for getting off the ground.

Good Luck.

nimmist

petreco,
Just to add to this discussion, you should know that unlike Access, that keeps everything in a single file, FoxPro in all it's versions, keeps things separate. The "database" refered to in the older FoxPro documentation is actually a single table (.DBF) and optionally may include an associated .CDX (compact index) file and/or a .FPT (memo text) file. [For the purists, there may also be 0 -> n .IDX index files also.] Even the VFP database container (.DBC) is actually a table that has links to all the actual tables and indexes - they are really not "contained" in it.

Most all the pieces that are used to generate an .EXE file, are also tables - Menus (.MNX, MNT), Reports (.FRX, .FRT), Labels (.LBX, .LBT), Screens/Forms (.SCX, .SCT), Projects (.PJX, .PJT) and the VFP Class Libraries (.VCX, .VCT). Programs (.PRG), Include files (.H), etc. are used as is. Note: Depending on the version of FoxPro/VFP, some of the table components are used to generate intermediate "program" code, while others are included and "run" directly by the runtime.

The current (VFP 7.0) file layouts are well documented in the program documentation available on the MS MSDN site. Start at and then click on General Reference and then File structures.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back