Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Found New Hardware keeps showing after installed printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

coachjch

Technical User
Dec 16, 2003
US
HELP!!! The New hardware Wizard box shows up and says it has found a new printer (it prints fine and everything works great with the printer other than the box comes up ebery restart and says found new hardware and then it tries to load a driver and then says cannot complete installation, and you press finish and this process of loading and not completing installation happens over again...but the printer still prints fine). I have been on the phone with Lexmark (my printer is a Z715) to no avail, I have tried deleting printer and manually adding drivers, I have unplugged printer usb cable to see if it was the cable, I have even tried to delete the registry which it wouldn't allow.....PLEASE I REALLY NEED HELP!!
Thank you!
john

Try this:

1. On the Windows desktop, right click on 'My Computer' and select 'Properties'.
2. Click 'Hardware' and select 'Device Manager'.
3. Click on the + sign beside 'Ports', right-click on 'LPT Port', select 'Properties' and click 'Port Settings'.
4. Deselect 'Enable Legacy Plug & Play' support.

Hope this helps...

See if these offer any solution?

The New Hardware Wizard may detect the printer device after every restart of the computer

Add Printer Wizard does not complete the installation of your printer

Found new hardware message will not go away after install
thread779-740484

314479 - How to Add OEM Plug and Play Drivers to Windows XP

Hi Linney,

Hope you had a good Xmas.

I notice coachjch had already asked this same question in (sorry... I don't know how to link to a previous thread <grin>) and that you already offered the same advice.

Hopefully he/she will reply back to let us know what, if any, suggestions helped.

Happy New Year to you.

Rick

You just link to the thread by copying the following and pasting it into your post (requires java scripting to be enabled).

found new hardware wizard shows up every time I start my computer
thread779-1171139

Aha! Got the hang of it now. Many thanks!

Sorry for not replying but I have tried all of the above help i.e. links, deselect pug and play but nothing has helped so far thank you for trying!

Hi coachjch,

I'm aware that this 'Found new hardware' problem with some Lexmark printers (and certain HP printers) has been going on for years. I first read about it in Computer Shopper in September 2003.

Are you using the drivers supplied with the printer? What version are they? Are they earlier than the v1.0.4.0 drivers from Lexmark's website? (available here:
Can you try this:

1) Open 'Device Manager'.
2) Click on the 'View' menu.
3) Select 'Show hidden devices' from the drop-down menu.

Can you see any entries with problems that either relate to printer or USB? If so, select its 'Properties' and check what it says. Try selecting 'Disable' from the 'Properties' then re-boot and see if the 'New hardware found' error still appears. If it doesn't re-appear then you know you've found the culprit and can un-install it.

If it does still appear then is there anything in the 'hidden devices' under Non-Plug and Play Divers that shows up as a problem?

Hope this helps...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back