Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Forwarding Trunk to Trunk with Toll-Blocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

tahki

Technical User
Jul 25, 2003
US
I have a 61C v.24 r.25. We are in the process of installing a second switch (HiPath 3700) for a new call center (upgrading our current switch is not feasible financially right now for everything needed). My situation is this: The call center answers incoming calls for 18 different clients. The routing for some of these clients are Centrex lines and are interally routed from there, etc. Our Centrex lines contract is in effect until 2006 - we are working with a new carrier for the majority of the client lines (most are 800 point to internal DNs) to have the 800s repointed to the new DIDs on the new switch. However, because of the few that have the Centrex, and needing to be as cost-efficient as possible, we are not going to be hard-wiring the two switches together. Instead, we are looking for alternative routing methods to reroute the lines to the new switch - as these Centrex lines are published numbers given by the clients to their customers.

One idea the new carrier suggested was to do a trunk to trunk forward and to make sure that there is toll blocking in place. (My dept. head talked to another source and we were told the forwarding of centrex lines will cause us to be charged per call forwarded). What I need to know is:
1) Which load do I begin in to see if we have the trunk to trunk forward feature installed (any additional programming tips greatly appreciated!)
2) Is it true regarding the charge per forwarded call by the local carrier?
3) Is there another way of forwarding these calls on the switch without involving the local carrier and additional hardwiring, that would ensure the toll blocking?
4) Speaking of speed dialing, which load would I look into setting up a speed-dial code for users on the 61C to be able to "quickly" connect to the users who will be on the new switch (without having to have 2 phones punched down for each workstation?)

Thanks-

a.k.a. babysitter of a Sl1/61C r.24 v.25

looks like your saving a dime and spending dollars, centrex is trash.. i would look at having the centrex lines forwarded from the office to did numbers.. you;ll need pri between the two switches with enought trunks to handle your traffic.. then you can use unique numbers in each so that 4 of 5 digit translation will be transparent to the users.. if i need to know what color a phone is before i can call someone, your not going to save a bunch of money. trunk to trunk forwarding in the sl1 is simple and you can block LD calls but if your switch is doing answer supervision, then the redirected ld is your bill to enjoy.. in your switch you can do vnr (vacant number routing) which will send and dialed or received vacant number to a predetermined route.. you've got a 61, with acd, symposium may be to expensive but acd is on if you have agents ava in your key codes, go to ld 23 and you;ll see how many agents you have.. i have never been a fan of a bastard switch arrangement.. one set of problems is enough.. the hipath may work as a stand alone but you will never find software support for that platform .. hipath to merridian intergration... sounds like some things have been decided by pointed hair bosses.. been there, done that, if my customer went that path i would be looking for a smarter customer.. any single platform is better then two vendors pointing fingers back and forth

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Alternative possibility, something to chew on - If I understand your dilemma correctly, some of the toll free calls will be pointed to your new switch and some will stay on the Centrex which is working behind your 61c. If I am incorrect, ignore the rest of my response.

Drop a T-1 (or PRI) from your favorite LD carrier in your new switch and, temporarily into your old switch (until you don't need it any longer). You may need more than one, I don't know your call volume. If you already have a T-1 in each switch for outbound, you may be able to make them serve double duty. Have the toll free inbounds DNIS fed into your switches, you just cut the price of your calls (per minute) in half, most likely. The cost reduction is a bonus feature of this arrangement. Ask your LD carrier to enable the pull back and transfer feature (each carrier calls it something different) and find out what key code combination is necessary to use it to make sure your switch can handle it. When the call comes in to your agent being served out of the old switch and they are finished, they can activate the pull back and transfer, then send the call to the other switch, either by sending to a DID or to a prearranged LD VPN feature number. The LD carriers supply the VPN, or "On Network" calls typically for free with enough call volume. If you choose to go the VPN route, then, when the transfer is performed, the call goes to the T-1 on the other switch via a DNIS feed that can match your DID block. Your VPN call will typically only be charged the normal toll free rate and not an additional charge.

Yes, in most cases centrex will charge you for that forward.

Well. Now you have two solutions to pick from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back