Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Forwarding to outside internet address

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpa

Programmer
Oct 15, 2001
US
What I need to do sounds simple enough, I just can't get it to work as expected:

I need to set up a forwarding alias on our exchange server, say newperson@ourcompany.com, so that all mail to this address is forwarded to another internet e-mail address (and is not stored on the exchange server).

I created a new custom recipient, selected to use an Internet mail address, typed in the person's existing external e-mail address that the mail should go to, then entered Outlook's display and alias fields.

Now when I try to send to the account on the exchange server, I get a bounce from our Exchange server saying "Unknown Recipient".

However, if I look at the properties of the Exchange Recipient and add a second internet address for the same user under the "E-mail Addresses" tab, I can send to that second address successfully and it is forwarded properly. I don't want to set up two e-mail addresses for everyone to get this to work. What am I missing?

Thanks.

To add to my post above, I can successfully send mail to the new recipient (and the e-mail is successfully forwarded to the internet account) if I select the recipient from the address book. But still, if I send email by directly typing the address, like "alias@mycompany.com", in the "To" field of the new message, it bounces.

With using the custom recipient you will need to use either the display name or the alias, As the MTA uses directory names for internal delivery not the SMTP address.

Chris.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back