Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Forwarding serial port to a virtual port

Status
Not open for further replies.

WebDrake

Programmer
Sep 29, 2005
PL
Hello all,

A project necessity has come up which, to be honest, I have no idea how to start working on, so I thought I'd ask here. :)

The problem is this: we need to write a program that will read from the serial port and forward to a virtual port of our choosing. Of course, it's not just going to forward data: the idea is that it will monitor the serial port and, if it is disconnected, will send appropriate signals to some programs using that port.

[The actual problem is that we have some third-party proprietary software which, if the serial port is disconnected, crashes. We need to stop it doing that, or at least get it to shut down cleanly and restart when the serial port is reconnected. My thinking was that using port forwarding in the above manner, with a program sitting in-between the serial port and the proprietary software, would be the appropriate way forward, but if anyone else has a better idea, do share!]

The program would have to run on any of the current Windows versions out there, and the more portable, the better. ;-)

Anyway, the question is: can anyone point me to some good resources/references on how to program C++ to interact with the serial port and make use of virtual ports?

Many thanks,

-- Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back