Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Forwarding ports for an XBox 360 through two routers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kerryking112

Technical User
Dec 25, 2006
US
I have a Speedstream 5200 series DSL Modem/Router as well as a DLink 524 series wireless router for my mom's laptop. Everything worked fine until I had to add the wireless router to the equation and now I've been having a nightmare with everything. I managed to get my old PC games working with the Speedstream...as well as my Xbox 360. I took the wireless router out of the equation and ran the 360 through only the speedstream and had no trouble at all. My NAT was open and I could join any game with any game I wanted to play...but with the wireless router all I get is a strict NAT.

I've tried setting myself up on a DMZ with both routers...but the speedstream wants to set up DMZ's only on ip's which look like 192.168.254.x while the Dlink only wants to set up DMZ's on ip's which look like 192.168.0.x. Does anybody know what the problem is?

Set DMZ up on the 5200 to point to your DLink and do port forwarding in the D Link to the X Box IP

Better yet push and hold the reset button on the speedstream ontil the power led starts to flash, around 5 secs. this will reset the speedstream to factory default bridge mode. Now program you D-link to do the username and password log in. Just set the D-link for PPPoE and put in your user name and your password let the D-link do the login. Then you can open the ports you need in the D-link. Who is your ISP ? I work for Windstream the old Altel we had 3 differt vers. of the 5200 first was modem only, 2nd. was modem/router with a silver face the last was ADSL2 comp. and had a black face. I flash a lot of the first ones to change them for modem only to modem/Router. We have changed to the 4200 some time back it's a little smaller.

I have Windstream...but I did try that...and it didn't work...also setting it up the way Crowtalks worked for a day...then quit working...and I have everything set up by static IP. I would love to make the speedstream modem only.

If you have Windstream you should not have trouble getting it to work, When you put the info in the D-link for the login the only changes from default is to change for DHCP to PPPoe and Put in the user name and password, don't put @windstream or put any thing in the optional info place. I have a DI-524 I was useing but it started to drop the wireless signel ever 15 mins. so I replaced it. When you hold the reset button in so units, the power led will flash green red after 4 or 5 cycles of flashing then you release the button. Some 5200's had a option on the setup to put then in bridge mode, bride mode=modem only. There is a way also to program them into bridge though the setup menu I have had to do it for sub's that where static IP and was connecting to a large cisco router. The process is quite load. Where is your local I work net tech in central Pa.

If the setup worked for a day and then quit, it sounds like the DMZ wasn't persistant or you are also dealing with a firewall issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back