Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Forwarding mail 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pabs

IS-IT--Management
Nov 7, 2000
CA
We have just installed Exchange 5.5 and Outlook 2000 clients. I need to connect Exchange to our existing Netscape mail server so that a user can send mail using the the Global Address List on Exchange and then forward that mail to our Netscape mail server for delivery.
I noticed that whenever I use the GAL, the mail does not go anywhere but when I use an address that is not part of GAL, the message is delivered.
Do I need an IMS, which I have tried but cannot get to work, or an X400 connector?
Please help. A real novice here.
Thanks.

In exch.5.5 open the IMS and put your FQDN or IP in the "forward to hosts" box. Use this if your Netscape server is accessed through the internet. If you transfer mail via LAN you can use a x400 connector OR the "forward host " box

Draq
comtutor@uswestmail.net
Good Luck with this information

"It's not what you know, or who you know, but who you know that knows what !" --- Me

"Visualize Whirled Peas" --- Kelly Bundy

I put the IP address in the 'Forward to Host' box but nothing still. What about the other tabs in IMS like 'Routing', 'Connected Sites' etc.

With this setup where I am forwarding straight to an IP address, do I still need 'mx' and 'A' records in DNS?

I'm not sure you can do what you want to using the GAL. The GAL is a special list in Exchange that represents each recipient's mailbox. When a user send a message using the GAL to the Exchange Server, the server considers the message to have reached it's final destination and will not forward it to a SMTP address or server. That is why you can send to a full SMTP address (someone@domain.com) and not to a GAL recipient.

There are two ways around this:
1) Don't use the GAL. Make a seperate list that contains the SMTP address of each user you are sending to and make it the default list in all of the Outlook 2000 clients. This is the simplest way.

2) Create a Custom Recipient in Exchange Administrator for each user in the Recipients list. Choose 'Internet Mail' as the type and fill in all necessary info. Then open each user's mailbox properties and select the Delivery Option tab, click the radio-button under 'Alternate Recipient' and click the Modify button. Choose the appropriate Custom Recipient from the list. Now when the Exchange server gets a message for someone in the GAL, it will forward it to the Custom (SMTP) Recipient address through your other server.

Neither of these options is very good if you already have a bunch of recipients on the Exchange box, but these may be the only options for your setup. And if you are planning to add more users to this Exchange box, I'd look into getting it setup as an independant mail server.

Hope this helps...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back