Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Forwarding email from exchange2k to unix sendmail

Status
Not open for further replies.

spddmon

MIS
Feb 18, 2002
US
hello,
My company has win2k SBS, exchange was running until our admin went on vacation, when the server stopped functioning. All mbx's are still getting populated with email, but no one seems to be able to access the domian server anymore(via outlook)
I setup a Unix box with sendmail, also up and running.
Is there a way to have all emails comming to the exchange server, forwarded to the Unix server?
I would like to do this until we permenantly switch over to Unix sendmail.
HELP.

recreate all users under the unix box, if you don't already have a unix environment setup. If you are using a firewall and doing port forwarding, change the port forwarding of SMTP traffic to the ip address of your unix box instead.

If not, add the ip of your unix box into your external DNS. Change your external DNS MX record to point to the unix machine.

Another way, is to give your SBS server a new IP. Put the old ip of your SBS server into the unix box. However, assuming your sbs is the domain controler, this might not be a good idea.

Thank you, the other question is what happens to all the email now sitting in the users' MBX directories, which none of them is able to retrieve, can I transfer it to Unix so they can retrieve it there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back