Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Forwarding all events from HP OV NNM as traps 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PawelW

IS-IT--Management
Oct 16, 2002
PL
Hi everybody!

I have one question (OV NNM 6.1/Solaris) - how to configure forwarding of all OV NNM events (internal events and incoming traps) to another SNMP manager? I know I can configure ov events forwarding via pmd but I need true SNMP traps not ov events. I had been looking for solution inside the ov nnm documentation but I found nothing. Maybe I have missed something?

Best Regards,
Pawel

Pawel,

Why don't you just add another SNMP-Host destination on you managed nodes? I know of no SNMP capable device which deos not allow multiple SNMP Trap destinations.

I need this forwarding for testing only (testing of some umbrella management system). So I don't want to reconfigure all the devices monitored by HP OV NNM in the network. I am looking for a fastest way to forwards all traps to the new system. I know some similiar aplications like Tivoli NetView are able to forward all traps to any host. What about hp ov nnm?

Pawel

Do you mean ovtrapd?
If yes - there is nothing in the docs:

ovtrapd (1M)
NAME
ovtrapd – receive and buffer SNMP traps within the NNM event subsystem
SYNOPSIS
ovtrapd
DESCRIPTION
ovtrapd is part of the NNM event subsystem. It receives traps, buffers them if
necessary, and then sends them to the pmd process. Within pmd, the event stack,
OV_EVENT, logs each trap and forwards it to all interested applications.
Traps are messages sent by agents that support the Simple Network Management
Protocol (SNMP). (For example, the agent snmpd sends traps to ovtrapd.) ovtrapd
listens on UDP port 162 for SNMP traps.
ovtrapd is started by ovstart, and relies on the files ovtrapd.lrf and ovsuf for
configuration and startup. Only one ovtrapd can execute on a system at a time. The
status of ovtrapd can be checked with ovstatus and it is stopped by ovstop.
AUTHOR
ovtrapd was developed by Hewlett-Packard Company.
FILES
The environment variables below represent universal pathnames that are
established according to your shell and platform requirements. See the ov.envvars
(1) manpage for information on universal pathnames for your platform and shell.
$OV_BIN/ovtrapd
$OV_LRF/ovtrapd.lrf
$OV_CONF/ovtsuf
SEE ALSO
pmd (1M), ov_event (5), ovstart (1M).

;-((((((((

Sorry,

The commands I meant were:

snmptrap - issue an SNMP Version 1 Trap

snmpnotify - issue an SNMP notification (Trap or Inform
request)

yeah - snmptrap and snmpnotif could be usefull for forwarding of specific set of traps but I need to forward all the traps incoming to ov nnm and I don't want to add action for every defined trap (there could be some undefined traps too). Just looking for easiest way to do it and I think the easiest way will be write simple C program to connnect pmd, get all events and send them as traps anywhere ;-((((

You could do it that way, you would need the NNM Software Developers Kit to do it. Another way would be configure NNM to use trapd.log and write a script that does some kind of a "tail -f" on it and runs the snmptrap command for each new entry. Using perl you could grab a file handle on trapd.log and do it that way without having to use the low level system command (more efficient).

Oh and by the way (I am surprised I did not think of this right away), in the configuration GUI for each trap under Options>>Event Configuration, there is a "Forward Event" check box for forwarding to other managers. You could take a snapshot of trapd.conf, make a change to one trap, see how it changes the entry you changed through the GUI in the trapd.conf, and then write a script to change all the trap entries in trapd.conf in the same way. Both my ideas are not quite as efficient as using the SDK and C, but it will be easier to administer and support (lot's more folks know perl and shell than C).

Lots of thanx ;-) I have created simple C program (10 lines of code and it works fine without any changes in hp ov nnm).

PawelW -
Can you post the code you used to split the trap stream?
(perhaps a solaris binary? :) ) EMS Architect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back