Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Forward to Specific Domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wulfdog

MIS
Feb 19, 2001
US
Is it possible to forward specific emails to a specific server? This is what I mean: From my workstation using Outlook 2000, I send an email to User@server2.com. Instead of sending this email out to our ISP, I want to redirect all @server2.com emails to a server on our LAN.

I know I can't do that from Outlook, but how can I do that on the Exchange server?

Do I have to create a new connector? Not quite sure exactly what I need to do.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for the help.

Nick

Basically, I want to forward a mail record with specific domain to another server on our LAN.

How can I do this with Exchange 2000?

Thanks.

Kind of funny...repling to myself. I have found maybe a better way of explaining what I am doing. Please see below:

Is it possbile in Exchange 2000 to send an email thru a different connector based off the domain name?

There is only 1 specific domain name that I don't want to send out to our ISP, instead send it to a pc on our LAN.

For instance, if someone sends an email to me at me@mydomain.com, our ISP routes the mail record to our firewall and the firewall routes it to our Antivirus server and then from there to our Exchange Server. Fine and dandy.

We have a message board on our LAN, which is accessible from the Internet via the firewall WAN IP and port number. This message board is on a separate PC than what our Exchange Server is running on. One thing this message board has to offer is you can post a message via email...but we can't with the current setup.

To post a message on the message board via email, all you are supposed to do is in the To field type in BoardName@domain.com. When you hit the send button (Outlook 2k) I would get a message return back from the Exchange server saying that user doesn't exist...which is correct...doesn't exist on the Exchange Server, but if it was routed to the message board pc, it would post. How i know this?....I opened Outlook Express and configured the outgoing server as the IP address of the message board pc...and it worked.

So this is what I am thinking of doing. On the message baord, I would configure that the domain of the SMTP service be bbs.mydomain.com.

Then, somehow in Exchange 2000, addresses to BoardBame@bbs.mydomain.com would somehow route to the specific IP address of the message baord..and only those domains that end in bbs.mydomain.com.

Doesn't anyone know how? Do I even make sense? I can make it make sense in my mind and often times mess it up in a post.

Please let me know if anyone has any suggestions and or questions.

Thanks for your help.

Nick

as a suggestion....

are you using a third party SMTP server to root e-mails to the ISP ?
I ask because I use OmniQuad MailWall [omniquad.com] to handle all my e-mails (admitedly from exch 5.5) this can be used to route e-mails by domain, as well as a few other functions....

hope this helps,
Jon. :)
----------------------------------------
To be is to do (Sartre)
To do is to be (Casmus)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
----------------------------------------

No I don't have have a third party software. Exchange 2000 has a connector that I route all mail through to our ISP. I am thinking that there needs to be a new connector, but somehow only route specified domains through that connector...in addition, I think that I need to create a new virual smtp server.

Nick

how about on your active directory you create a contact list names of people or mailboxes that belongs to @server2.com and then on the email properties enter per se "user@server2.domainname.com" I supposed server2 would be the exchange server. then on your DNS enter the name and IP address of of server2. then what's going to happen or I hope what will happen is all emails will be directed to this server first before the firewall. good luch if you solve this problem let me know i am interested. thanks..

Hi Nick - I'm trying to do exactly this and I don't see what the final solution was in the FAQ. Can you please let me know what you did to make it work?

Thanks

Marc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back