Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Forward Message to a Secondary Extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffjacobs

Technical User
Feb 3, 2003
US
We have a user who started his employment at our corporate office with extension 11111. He has been transferred to a remote office where he took over the job of another employee. The office has asked that he be assigned extension 33333. He wants to keep both extensions.

We kept his 11111 voicemail and added a secondary extension of 33333 to it. The only thing that does not seem to work is when the admin for the office tries to forward a voicemail from her mailbox to his 33333 extension she gets a message “Mailbox number not valid”. If she forwards the message to his 11111 extension it works just fine. What are we doing wrong here?

What voicemail system do you have? If you have MM (depending on the version), the secondary extension is typically only used for call answering purposes and not necessarily for addressing purposes.

Since this person has moved to a new location I would have thought you would have assigned them their new extension as their primary (33333) and used the 11111 as the secondary, so MWI and such would work on the 33333 extension.

Assuming you are using just 1 MM system (not multiple MM systems). The secondary extension field is for call answering purposes only and can't be used for addressing purposes (that I know of). Both extensions will ring and cover to the same mailbox but if you are trying to use both for addressing purposes I don't believe that can be done. Either use dial-by-name or use the primary extension/mailbox for addressing purposes.

As texeric said you can only have one mailbox number but many secondary ext numbers. The mailbox number is the only thing you can use to address the message from the TUI. So they can only use 11111 to address it.

Ken Means

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

33333 doesnt have a voicemail account, 11111 has it and 33333 is secondary. That doesnt mean you can call 33333 and leave messages for 11111. It just activates the light. You need to change his voicemail to 33333 if that is his extension and forward calls for 11111 to 33333.

rejackson - a secondary extension does answer the call as if the primary extension was called, so yes 33333 would answer for 11111. Unless something has changed in the MM product that I don't know about, the secondary extension will never be used for MWI purposes.

A secondary ext number cannot light the MWI lamp only the primary ext number and that goes for any software version of MM. If someone can show me otherwise i would love to see it as it would be a useful feature.

Ken Means

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

Sorry, the light is turned on by the station configuration. Tell 11111 the message lamp is 33333.

My point is you dont keep two voicemail accounts, you keep two extensions. The voicemail should be for 33333 and 11111 should be forwarded to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back