Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Forward mail but RETAIN existing mail in org email

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimonPeh

MIS
Sep 11, 2002
SG
Hi,

Anyone out there how to configure sendmail where I can forward a mail to another email address but at the same time that mail still exist in the original email address ?

Pardon me if I am wrong.
Using .forward file only forward the mail entirely to the new email address.
/etc/aliases and virtusertable doesnt help too as they both do forwarding only.

And any ways where I can create a group email for a list of email addresses so any mail sent to that group mail, all the email addressees in that group will receive the same mail.

Would appreciate if anybody can provide some useful info.

Thanks a million.

Cheers
SP

Hi Daniel,

/etc/mail/virtusertable can forward file to a list of people by specifying a long list of email addresses.

Wonder anyone out there has a better way to tag a group email to a list of people such as what we do in Exchange server.

How about the forwarding but at the same time retaining the original message? Any advise from the Gurus out there ?

Thanks ...

hai dear

whther with virtusertable it will work
i.e. if i enter in virtusertable entry like

abc@xyz.com abc,
boss@xyz.com

so all mail destined for abc@xyz.com will go to boss@xyz.com
if it will done then its very good for me i want same solution
but whether the file has to run first with makemap with hash option or dirctly it will work

thanks again for this info
and give me help for this in details

keyur

Hi,

We are forwarding emails using the /etc/aliases file. You can of course keep a copy also. For example, any mail to Peter need to be forwarded to Cindy. Then you can write:

peter:cindy@hotmail.com,peter,

This way the mail is forwarded to Cindy, but also a copy goes to Peter.

You can also forwared group mails like this:

sales:abc, xyz, pqr,

This way any mail to sales will go to all these people. You can create the groups and then forward the mails like this.

Hope this helps.

Shihab

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back