Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Forum Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

CajunCenturion

Programmer
Mar 4, 2002
US
I have just posted an FAQ for this forum outlining the expected Forum Behavior. Although perhaps not necessary, it may be a good thing to have in place.

Feedback is welcome except on the topic of necessity.

I especially liked: "Please read the entire thread before posting".

CC,

Excellent post and very well written. I could not agree with you more. I feel everyone is cordial and polite in this forum.

A few points about the copy within the FAQ:

"As we all know, the study of language is not an exact science, but is rather quite fluid and laced with interpretation."

Rather and quite: I would eliminate one of these words.

Punctuation error?
'This is a way of saying, "let's step back, refocus and get some perspective".'

Should the period be inside of closing quote.

Mike Barone

"One forgets words as one forgets names. One's vocabulary needs constant fertilizing or it will die."

- Evelyn Waugh

Thank you. I did remove one of the words, and no, I don't see a punctuation error. I'm more in the logical use camp.

Good Luck
--------------
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Humans make illogical decisions."

- Spock, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

Mike Barone

"One forgets words as one forgets names. One's vocabulary needs constant fertilizing or it will die."

- Evelyn Waugh

Perhaps it belongs here:

I feel this forum, more than others, has a higher potential for tangential discussions.

I do feel the original question was responded to thoroughly. The other posts evolved from questions that arose from responses.

As long as the original question of the thread is addressed to the posters satisfaction I don't see a reason the thread cannot mutate a little. However, I am a proponent that new threads should be started if the tangential becomes the primary focus of the thread. This will help organize the forum for the search engine to a greater degree.

Mike Barone

- Evelyn Waugh

MikeBarone said:
Should the period be inside of closing quote?
CajunCenturion said:
I don't see a punctuation error. I'm more in the logical use camp.
I thought you'd like to read this:

"There are peculiar typographical reasons why the period and comma go inside the quotation mark in the United States. The following explanation comes from the "Frequently Asked Questions" file of alt.english.usage: "In the days when printing used raised bits of metal, "." and "," were the most delicate, and were in danger of damage (the face of the piece of type might break off from the body, or be bent or dented from above) if they had a '"' on one side and a blank space on the other. Hence the convention arose of always using '."' and ',"' rather than '".' and '",', regardless of logic." This seems to be an argument to return to something more logical, but there is little impetus to do so within the United States."

From

And, besides, we discussed this topic on this forum just yesterday...

I call for a "Point of Order."

I think some things are being misinterpreted and I would hate to see animosity build up and cause problems.

We all seem to agree here, with little exception. Let's retreat to neutral corners and come back as friends at a later date.

Mike Barone

- Evelyn Waugh

>I think some things are being misinterpreted and I would hate to see animosity build up and cause problems.

I really don't see any animosity building up here. But, I agree that we went on a tangent about the punctuation remarks. However, Stella took care of that with her comment.

would hate to see animosity build up"

I wanted to head it off at the pass.

Mike Barone

- Evelyn Waugh

OK, guys, in order to understand what is it of which I took care, I had to look up "tangent". :)

One thing is clear.

The FAQ is useless if folks have no respect for its contents.

Good Luck
--------------
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

CC,

Care to elaborate?

Mike Barone

- Evelyn Waugh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back