Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Formula using custom date field. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwschiek

IS-IT--Management
Oct 30, 2003
US
Hi:

I have added several custom date fields to my project to help track dates within a task. All of the date fields initialize as "NA".

I want to use a formula that will see if a date has been entered in the custom date field, but I can't get past the "NA" entry in the date field, all of the formulas come back with #ERROR if I have not yet entered a valid date.

How can I get around this? I have tried the IsNull function, tried to do a data type conversion, what next?

Thanks. I am using Project 2000.

This is awkward, but it works.

1. You need two fields so I used text1 and text2.

2. Text1 has the formula:
Date1

3. Text2 has the formula:
IIf([Text1]="NA","YES it is NA","NO it is a date")

You can hide the Text1 column if you find it clutters up your display and the two formulae continue to work.

I *knew* I could do it! This uses only one field.

In text1 I put the formula:

IIf(cstr(&quot;<&quot; & projdateconv([Date1]) & &quot;>&quot;)=&quot;<NA>&quot;,&quot;A date has NOT been entered&quot;,&quot;The date is &quot; & date1)

If date1 is NA then text1 will contain &quot;A date has NOT been entered&quot;.

If date1 has a date then text1 will contain &quot;The date is &quot; and the date from date1.

Thanks!!! Works great!

I just discovered the customizability of Project and its great to know that there is a place to turn to with questions.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back