Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Formula to pull Maximum of DateTime field

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokerace

Technical User
May 24, 2005
US
Crystal 10 - ODBC

I am trying to insert a line into a formula that will allow me to only select the records with the most recent date. The field for this is a DateTime field. Here is the formula:

Maximum({JOB_STEP_EMP_PROD_RATE.JOB_STEP_EMP_PROD_RATE_DATE})

When I insert that into the formula is tells me that a boolean is required. Any help with why or what needs done?

Go to select expert -> show formula -> formula editor:

{JOB_STEP_EMP_PROD_RATE.JOB_STEP_EMP_PROD_RATE_DATE} = Maximum({JOB_STEP_EMP_PROD_RATE.JOB_STEP_EMP_PROD_RATE_DATE})

Assuming there is nothing else there, adding the above should do the trick.

cheers,
damon

Please note above is assuming that it is a date field, not a datetime.

damon

You are probably intending to select the maximum per a particular group, so you should go report->selection formula->GROUP and enter:

{JOB_STEP_EMP_PROD_RATE.JOB_STEP_EMP_PROD_RATE_DATE} = Maximum({JOB_STEP_EMP_PROD_RATE.JOB_STEP_EMP_PROD_RATE_DATE}, {table.groupfield})

-LB

More simply, use Report->Selection Formulas->Record.

If you want the most recent record per entity, then you would group the report by that entity, and instead use the Report->Select Formula->Group and use:

{JOB_STEP_EMP_PROD_RATE.JOB_STEP_EMP_PROD_RATE_DATE} = Maximum({JOB_STEP_EMP_PROD_RATE.JOB_STEP_EMP_PROD_RATE_DATE},{My_Group_Field})

Replace {My_Group_Field} with the field you've groupe by.

-k

Actually, I have run into another problem. The report is now correctly displaying the maximum date and corresponding fields, however, when I sum one of the fields it will still add in the extra data that was previously displayed when the other dates were being pulled.

The database I am using keeps track up people’s % level as in the amount of work they are capable of doing compared to 100%. This % level changes every so often, and since the database keeps a history of these changes with the date of change, each one appears when I run a report for any given work day. If a person has had 10 level changes, then it would show 10x the number of output.

What I want to do is only total the output for the maximum date (most recent change date.) I will be using that specific % level and that day’s output in another formula.

I am able to take a distinct count of the number of dates and then divide the inflated total by the distinct count to get the correct number, but if there is a better way please let me know.

Insert a running total where you sum the percent field, evaluate based on a formula:

{JOB_STEP_EMP_PROD_RATE.JOB_STEP_EMP_PROD_RATE_DATE} = Maximum({JOB_STEP_EMP_PROD_RATE.JOB_STEP_EMP_PROD_RATE_DATE}, {table.groupfield})

Reset on change of your person group.

-LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back