Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

formula challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freefall27

Technical User
Sep 8, 2005
US
Working in Access 2000 and experiencing a calculation issue when running query.

Quantity: [Field]/9.2 - 9.2 used as a billing rate
IntQuantity: Int([Quantity])
Whole Quantity: [quantity]-[intquantity]

If I remove the /9.2 the calculation is correct.

When using the /9.2 it gives the wrong answer in some cases as shown below.

Ex.
Quantity = 6 (55.2/9.2)
IntQuantity = 6
Whole Quantity = 8.88178419700125E-16 (This should be 0)

I think the question and examples are ample to explain the issue but please let me know if you need more detail.

It looks like a rounding/precision issue to me. When dividing by a float you'll get a float as a result and zero might be .000000000000000888178, which is what it looks like here.

To avoid this, pre-scale to longint if the values will fit, or use Currency data type, which is a double-long integer (not a float).
--Jim

To add to what Jim said this is not a Access problem or VBA problem, but a limitation of of how all computers handle numbers other than integer types.
Computers represent every number (and everything) by a sequence of ones and zeros, and with arithmetic the limitations become apparent.

Using the Currency data type as Jim says is a great option if if working with currency. In code and some dbs, there is a decimal data type. Or you can format or round your data.

In code you normally do not do
if WholeQuantity = 0
but
if WholeQuantity < .0000000000000001 then

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back