Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

forms to multiple tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

hwaterboys

Technical User
Mar 31, 2003
US
I am doing inventory and have created 3 tables
1-computers (building #, room #, asset#, serial #,make, model, cpu, hard drive, memory, mac address, ip address, wrist pad, mouse pad, surge protector)
2- monitors (building #, room #, asset #, serial #, make, model)
3- printers (building #, room #, asset #, serial #, make, model)

What I want is to have 4 forms
1 form with everything (computers, monitors, and printers)
1 form for computers
1 form for monitors
1 form for printers

so far everything works fine for the 3 individual forms but when I use the everything form none of the information gets transfered into the 3 tables.

can someone please help.
thanks

How do you have the everything form set up? Is is a form with three subforms or is it a form with a table of its own or are you creating a union query of some sort between the three tables?

Your tables are going to need to be reconstructed. Check out the Fundamentals of Relational Database Design article on my website. When you're done reading that, you'll want to rebuild your tables. To store the fields you have listed above, you could have either one table or two tables with a one-to-one relationship. You may also want some lookup tables to hold manufacturer and model names, so you can avoid typos and be able to accurately sort, group, and filter.

Once you reconstruct your tables, try again with the forms (you'll only need two). Then get back to us with further questions.

Jeremy

==
Jeremy Wallace
AlphaBet City Dataworks
Affordable Development, Professionally Done

Please post in the appropriate forum with a descriptive subject; code and SQL, if referenced; and expected results. See thread181-473997 for more pointers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back