Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

forms take AGES to open, suggestions on record locking etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Can anyone help me out with some info or pointers to sources on record locking etc. I assume its the reason for my woes.

1st User opens forms in an instant [updatable query] over the network; 2nd user or more opens the same form takes anything between 2 and 20 minutes!

Thanks in advance.

Your modes of record locking are

Pessimistic - locking records at the data source immediately upon editing.

Optimistic - locking records only when you call the Update method.

Optimistic provides the least overhead at open time, because the system will not concern itself about other user access until the actual update on the record occurs. You will probably see a latency on the update side of your form action rather than on the Open side, but this would be variable depending on the concurrency of the records being accesssed.

petersdaniel@hotmail.com
"If A equals success, then the formula is: A=X+Y+Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." --Albert Einstein

thanks for the info;
am i right to assume that the locking you refer to is set on the application forms. is this the only place where record locking is dealt with? ] always a sucker to the greatest lie of all: will only take a minute [

No, you can set record locking properties on Query objects under the Properties tab petersdaniel@hotmail.com
"If A equals success, then the formula is: A=X+Y+Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." --Albert Einstein

Hi.
I have schlepped around for months on one slow opening form. Then last week I saw a (tip) thread by jgoodman that made that same form that used to take 19 seconds to open now open almost instantaneously! Here is the thread to look at: thread702-206410. It involves opening any form in your db, selecting Tools => General => and unclicking the choice about tracking name changes. But read the thread first. Gus Brunston :cool: An old PICKer, using Access2000. I manage Suggestions welcome. padregus@attbi.com

Yep, done that and it did make a big difference accross the whole db.

In my case though, it seems that if user1 has opened the form, when user2 opens the same form it takes forever. I thought it might be record-locking.

This may be a year after the question, but I ahd the same problem and did extensive research. Waht I found out was that with an attached database, the program is truely slow unless you install the execution program on each user's computer and the databse on the server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back