Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Forms Based Authentication

Status
Not open for further replies.

leightur

IS-IT--Management
Jan 25, 2008
GB
At present when we view webmail@mydomain.com we get the annoying username and password popup prompt.

Ideally I would like to use the Outlook interface and enable forms based authentication.

Can I use this without using a SSL certificate?

Thanks,

Leigh

FBA needs an SSL certificate. And, since a cert is only $20 these days, why wouldn't you want to secure your email access?

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

I agree with PAT, SSL certs are so cheap it is not an obstical to deploy FBA in an Exchange 2k3 environment. If you wanted, you could also just use the CA in Windows and create your own Cert. Of course this has its limitations. You will have to deploy your certificate to your OWA clients and install it manually as Windows XP/Vista will not recognize your CA as a trusted CA without manually installing the Cert on the client. This is not the case with a $20 cert from Verisign, Godaddy.com etc. That is why just purchasing a cert is the better solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back