Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Forms & subforms

Status
Not open for further replies.

DebbieChapman

Programmer
May 25, 2003
GB
I've got an access application linked to SQL7 backend. What I am trying to do is link a form the main talbleis customers, the linked tables is TelephoneNumbers.

What i am not sure is how tojust populate the subform with linked data, rather than bringing the who telephone numbers table accross from the server and linking master and child fileds. The telepne numbers table is huge, and is causing me connection timouuts. Is there a way to change the criteria of the view based on a forms control? I tried setting up a sql pass through query, but i cant link my form to a pass through. any help much appreaciated

I woul suggest you to abandon the "linking" idea. This is "old technology", designed for local applications, not for comunication with a server (who may be bussy, or the network may be to slow, etc.).
Use DAO (with ODBC and pass through querys) and form.RecordSource pointing to the desired query.
A better way is using ADO (connection and recordsets) and form.RecordSource pointing to the desired recordset. That's the fastest and most relyebel way to comunicate with an SQL Server.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back