Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Former Employee Email Troubles 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyMc509

IS-IT--Management
Oct 8, 2001
US
Hi,
I recently inherited administering an exchange server. The previous guy had any emails not sent to an account routed to a generic folder that I have to go through everyday. We get hit with a large amount of trash email from two former employees and rather than have to scan through it everyday, I was wondering if something could be done so that when a person leaves we can stop receiving all the junk emails. I am not looking for a spam eliminator, just a way to block incoming email for certain addresses.

Try creating a mailbox called "junk", hiding it from the address book, setting its size limit to 5k (or however much space you want to use storing mail you don't read), then add the address of any old user to the mailbox. Incoming mail is undeliverable because the mailbox is always full.

This works for us and you can add new addresses as required.

Internet Mail Service|Connections|Message Filtering is perfect for that! You can prevent delivery from specific email addresses or entire domains.

I have one called "Former Employees" and just add a new smtp address for the outgoing person. This has a server side auto reply saying user doesn't work here any more and then bins the email.

Jim's way is better though as you can get hit by an autoresponse server and you'll be sending emails back to each other for ever...

Message filtering will only work across the domain - use that for spam - see another thread in this forum on spam lists and how to implement them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back