Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Formatting trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
i have owned older computers and formatted them once-twice a year to keep them free and fast. the last one i owned was a p 133 and i formatted it several times. i now have a amd k6 2 350 and i made a start-up disk, had my windows and various device driver cds laying about and i rebooted the computer into msdos mode and typed format C: and pressed enter(NO TURNING BACK NOW!!). now, before, on the other computers, i could still access the a: after a format of the c:, but for some reason when i reboot it doesn't read the a: it boots up and after saying this, i can go no further

Verifying DMI Pool Data

invalid system disk
replace the disk and then press any key

it won't read the boot disk. i can't access the bios setup cause there is a password there and i can't remember what it is..but if i HAVE to get in bios to fix this i'll contact the manufacturer and get it.

anyone know why i can't get an a: prompt with the boot up disk?

thanks in advance

you are using cd boot disk or floppy boot disk, if you use cd boot disk you must have the driver for the panasonic, sony,yamaha and some other cd drives, use creative and other cd drives without drives just you can use mscdex file for this...if you use floppy enable floppy seek in bios and boot or the floppy driver may be problem cure that..just try this ok

From reading the post, it sounds like you formatted the floppy. Try booting from the hard drive and see if it still works. If it does, then create another boot floppy.

Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

formattingproblem fixed, now i have the hardrrive spaceproblem described in the new post

Chances are if you have a proprietary system with win98se preinstalled, you got a recovery cd with a start disc. this start disc will look for a DMI string identifing the computer and will not work if this string is not found.

possible reason the DMI string is not found, the HD was fdisked and formatted, rather than recovered from the floppy and recovery CD disks. or a virus corrupted the boot sector .

you can make another win98se start disc from another win98 machine and do a full fdisk and format C: /s of your system.
format C: /s will transfer the system files to the machine. winMe no longer allows this though, straight format C: only

you will need drivers for all your devices, although win98se supplies some, modems and scanners and cameras may not be covered.

do not use a bios restore from the internet unless it is from a reliable source. you can open the machine and some mother boards have a jumper next to the battery to restore a lost bios password. you can also remove the battery for several minutes to do the same.

I believe that your Bios is setup to look at the hard drive first, this may be where your problem is. if you cant remeber your password to enter into your bios try to flash your bios first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back