Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Formatting tools?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbodger

Programmer
Apr 23, 2007
US
I am looking at some queries that I have inherited that have multiple levels of nested joins and subqueries. In Visual Studio for .Net stuff, it will show you the closing bracket if you highlight the opening bracket, are there any tools that work similarly for SQL Statements.

wb

What version of SQL Server? In 2008R2 I can see matching parentheses in SSMS.

djj
The Lord is my shepherd (Psalm 23) - I need someone to lead me!

Really? I am using 2008R2 and I don't see them. I will hunt thru the options to see if there is something that I have turned off.

wb

Hmm... I see that it shows the matching pair when I first type the closing parenthesis, but I cannot go back later, highlight the opening parenthesis and have it show me the corresponding closing parenthesis. Is this the same behavior that you see?

wb

I see what you mean.

I seem to remember there are third party applications that do what you want but I have never used them.

djj
The Lord is my shepherd (Psalm 23) - I need someone to lead me!

You may want to take a look at SQL Prompt from red gate. They have a 14 day trial. This software is not free. I've never used it myself, but I hear from others that it's a nice product.

-George
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
My Blogs
SQLCop
twitter
"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back