Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

formatting textarea box 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keendev

Technical User
Jan 23, 2006
PH

hi guys I have a textarea box for my description field... and I want the textarea to have a formatting text.
how would I do it?

also when saving it on my table, is it ok to have "/" , "<",
">" tags ??

tnks.

if you want the ability to let users put formatted text into a text area then the best way is to put in a javascript wysiwyg editor. my favorite is
as for your second question, are you asking about saving those values in a database? if you're putting them into a text column then sure you can do it.

=========================================
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison

wow! i've tried it :)

thanks a lot. it's great!

That App looks really neat, i've been thinking about implementing it myself. Whats the deal with configuration? can i add and remove buttons at my own descretion? or do i have to use a predefined 'theme'.

I only have basic requirements for my users, such as 'bold' 'Italic' 'bullets' and choosing a style such as 'p' or 'h1' ... can that be done on TinyMCE or do i have to have the other basic features such as text alignment.

Thanks,

Rob

You can customise it as you wish. There are standard buttons and you can add and remove as you like.

In the example I've used the advanced option but removed loads of buttons I don't want, and added a date button (plugin).

The docs explain it quite well.

Hope that helps.

Code:
<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript" src="../jscripts/tiny_mce/tiny_mce.js"></script>

<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">
tinyMCE.init({
	mode : "textareas",
	theme : "advanced",
	plugins : "insertdatetime",
	theme_advanced_buttons1_add : "insertdate",
	plugin_insertdate_dateFormat : "%d-%m-%Y",
    plugin_insertdate_timeFormat : "%H:%M:%S",
	theme_advanced_disable : "outdent,indent,cut,copy,paste,undo,redo,help,removeformat,
formatselect,fontselect,fontsizeselect,styleselect,forecolor,backcolor,
visualaid,anchor,newdocument,separator"
});
</script>

Liark

hi again,

just need help on inserting an image on the formating textarea box(tinyMCE). can you help ...how can I use the insert image because file(browse) button does not load up.

any solution on how can I insert/upload image on TINYMCE?

thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back