Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Formatting PageMaker document to a PDF 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

valverde

Technical User
Apr 13, 2006
GB
I am trying to convert a PageMaker document into a pdf file but I am losing all my colour shading when document is processed. Why is this happening and what can I do? Many thanks.

First question - just HOW are you making the PDF?

There are two ways of making a PDF from PM (and many other apps for that matter):

(1) Export direct to PDF

(2) 'print' a postscript file and then distill it.

When I used Pagemaker, I would always use the second method, as I found it more reliable. But others have used the direct export without problems.

Either way, you have to be careful which job options you choose to get the desired results. Without knowing which version of PM and Distiller/Acrobat you have, it's difficult to be specific.

But if you have at least V5 of Distiiler, then there are pre-set job options to choose from. Depending on the destination of the PDF (press, inhouse printing or the web), will determine the best job options to choose.

If your PM colours are converting to greyscale, this usually indicates you are using method (2) to make the PDF and in the first step, you are choosing a mono postscript printer (black not a colour printer).

When you create the postscript file, try using Distiler as the target printer.

Hi John,

Pretty quiet at the Adobe forums now isn't it?

Very…

Hope all is well in Aus. Melbourne was the place to be a few weeks ago with the Commonwealth Games and the F1 Circus.

It's all golf here, with the preparations for the open in full swing.
Neighbours are letting their houses out for £2,000 a week!
I've just bought my tickets for the final day.
I'm not looking forward to the traffic as I live about a mile away, in between the car parks and the entrance. :-(

LIVERPOOL FC - 5 times Champions of Europe. 1977, 1978, 1981, 1984, 2005.
Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back