Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Formatting NT Server Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

donahuem

MIS
Jul 31, 2001
US
Hi,

I would like to format the hard drive that currently runs Windows NT Server, so that I can load Windows NT workstation. When I typed format c: I received an error message "cannot lock current drive". I noticed that the drive was shared so I took the sharing off of it and rebooted the server, but I still get the same message when I attempt to format the hard drive.

Thanks,
Mike

You can't format the disk you've booted from. If you want to completely wipe it, boot from a DOS floppy and do an fdisk. You should also be able to fromat the disk during the NT setup.

Just boot from the NT Workstation CD and delete and recreate the partition (or format it) when prompted to. -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

I installed Windows NT workstation but it never prompted me to remove Server, so now I have Workstation and server on the same drive.

Help!
Mike

You can look in the c:\boot.ini file and remove the lines that reference NT Server. Then you can find the directory that holds the NT server operating system files (Probably WINNT) and delete it. I don't know what you named the folder that you installed the Workstation system files into, but be careful that you don't delete that. If you look in your C: drive while you are running Workstation, the folder that has the Workstation system files in it will have a Sharing hand under it.

ShackDaddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back