Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Formatting harddrive running Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaylabear

Programmer
Oct 23, 2002
CA
Hello,

Now with every other version of windows I have ever had, ie; 95, 98 etc. I have been able to format the harddrive through DOS. However when I try to format the harddrive that is currently running Windows XP, I can get to the final command, "Format C: Drive", YES NO, when I click yes it says, "Drive cannot be formatted".

I am under the impression that this is a built in operating system and therefore regular formatting options will not work.

Is there a way to format the drive from startup, or from within the BIOS.

Any input you have is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kaylabear.

If you want to format the harddrive, just boot off the XP cd and choose to install fresh, then format when it gives you the option.

how exactly (what steps are taken and from where) are you trying to format the drive?

kaylabear

I'd suggest downloading the relevant drive manufacturer's utilities. Most offer bootable disk images for formatting / zero writing etc and these utilities offer a far quicker format than offered by Windows XP. Handy to have for the diagnostics as well. I always keep my Seagate bootable CD to hand for this sort of thing.

HTH

TazUk

[pc] Blue-screening PCs since 1998

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back