Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Formatting formula

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvor

IS-IT--Management
Oct 17, 2001
US
Hi,

I want to format some text using a formula, I'm trying to make the text bold under certain conditions. It is easy enough in CR9 - I just go to format field and click on the formula button, then use the crBold function.

However, I am trying to do this in CR7 and I do not know how - or even if it is possible!?

Any ideas?
Thanks Dave

Dave Bennett

I can't recall what CR 7 offers along these lines, and you certainly didn't describe your requirements well.

If you want the entire contents bolded under some conditions, I'd create 2 formulas, one of which bolded, the other not, Then you can place one on top of the other. This is primitive, and CR 8.5 might use HTML even to accomplish this (though formatting is a pain).

Then use the suppression of each formula to eliminate the one you don't need, such as:

{table.field} = "Some Value"

-k

it is not convenient to do this but it is possible. I have CR7 and just tried it

to do a simple example

Let us try the text : This is BOLD
This is Not Bold

to do this create

1. formula fields

//@Bold

"Bold";

//@NotBold

"Not Bold;

2. create 2 text box fields of exactly the same size

in Text box 1 edit the text by typing "This is " then go to Insert | formula field , select @Bold and drop it into the text box that you are creating. While in the edit mode for the text box, click on @Bold and right-click to format this embedded field to be bold.

Do the same for the second textbox...except use @NotBold

3. Now in each text box format the conditional suppress to reveal one box or the other depending on your conditions.

4. Finally, overlay Textbox1 with TextBox2 in the report

This is awkward I know but it works

Jim Broadbent

The quality of the answer is directly proportional to the quality of the problem statement!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back