Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Formatting a multiline text

Status
Not open for further replies.

saran26

Programmer
May 20, 2008
US
Hi All,

I have the following text stored in a database in a multiline field.

I have written a perl script to get the following contents
and print it in a html page.

I found the newline characters and replaced it with a <br> using the following perl statement

$executivesummary =~ s/\n/<br>\n/g;

But while printing the identation is lost. all are printing from the first , how to preserve the indentation while priting and provide a bullet point for every line.

Please help me out.

Thanks
Saran

---------------------------------------------------------

• Iteration I testing is in progress and is 20% complete
• Test planning and scripting for Iteration I is complete except for Session Management
o Late receipt of specifications
• User Guide is complete and pending approval from BMD
• SRS is complete except for QuickFIX 4.4 behavior
o Some QuickFIX docs have been presented by FEST which need to be vetted (see risks)
• SAD is being delivered iteratively. This is not holding up the current iteration
• SDD is in progress, but not holding up the current iteration
• BRIO enhancements to support ATG are complete
o There is an issue parsing messages because tags are out of order on outbound messages
o The fix for this was deployed to Unstable today and testing is in progress
• Tentative milestones
o 2/1 2/5 – Iteration I drop to QA
o 2/15 2/19 – Iteration II to drop QA
o 3/15 – Iteration III to drop QA
o 4/23 - NR

--------------------------------------------------------

Hi

Please post formatted text between [tt][ignore][tt][/ignore][/tt] and [tt][ignore][/tt][/ignore][/tt] ( or [tt][ignore]
Code:
[/ignore][/tt] and [tt][ignore]
[/ignore][/tt] ) TGML tags. There is no indentation in the sample text you posted.

In HTML sequences of whitespaces are displayed as a single space character. If you want to display all whitespaces to preserve the indentation, you have to set [tt]white-space: pre[/tt] CSS style for your text. Or enclose it between [tt]pre[/tt] tags.

But better spend some time and do it right : display the text as an unordered list.

Feherke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back