Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Formatting a lable so it dynamically expands to other labels if needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

RPOC

IS-IT--Management
Jun 17, 2003
US
i am using crystal 11. I created a label that has a variety of fields on it. The label will have a notes area and the notes can range from 1 character to a couple of hundred. Since the notes are a variable, Is there a way to make the extra data show up on additional labels if needed.

A label really contains only one row of data, so you can't force a new label unless you can create a second row. You could potentially use a command that uses a union statement as your datasource. You would add the notes up to a certain length in the first component of the union statement and then add additional unions for each additional length, e.g., the first row could contain left({table.field},100), and the second one could contain mid({table.field},101,100), the third could contain mid({table.field,201,100), but you would be duplicating rows where the length extended beyond 100. I'm not sure of the function you can use in a command that works like "mid"--possibly locate().

-LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back