Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Formatting a field in a report 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CondorMan

Technical User
Jan 23, 2005
GB
I use Access 2003 and have come across a formatting problem in a report.

I have fields [Country] and [Population]. I created new fields [=Sum([Population])] and [=Count([Population})] which I named SumPopulation and CountPopulation.

For each country, I want to have the report print:

The population of XXX is YYY and this is ZZZ% of the total.

so I've tried:

="The population of " & [Country] & " is " & [Population] & " and this is " & ([Population]/[SumPopulation]) & " of the total."

The problem that I have is that I can't make the ([Population]/[SumPopulation]) retain a percentage format. It reverts to decimal. Even if I calculate the percentage and use a hidden field (such as a field called [Percentage] which I format correctly), the formatting isn't retained when I add it to the string that I want to print.

I hope this makes sense! Is there any way to do what I want?

Try

="The population of " & [Country] & " is " & [Population] & " and this is " & format([Population]/[SumPopulation], "Percent") & " of the total."

ChaZ

There Are 10 Types Of People In The world:
Those That Understand BINARY And Those That Don’t.

That's great, thank you.

I see that the format can be changed to others (i.e. long date etc.), and the percentage is displayed with 2 decimal places. I've tried to get only one decimal place by ... "Percent,1") and ... "Percent",1) but neither works. I've tried googling (access 2003 + format + field) but it just brings up the more usual "normal" formatting process. Is there a specific name for this type of formatting (i.e. a google "buzz phrase") that will bring up details that I want?

Well, there probaly is a simple solution, but using a little string function stuff, I think you can make it work with one decimal.

Maybe - left (format (yournumber, "percentage"), len (format (yournumber, "percentage") -1)

Have you tried this ?
Format([Population]/[SumPopulation], "0.0%")

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Perfect - thank you. That got me out of a bit of a hole!

I told you there was a simple solution!

ChaZ

LOL. Thanks for your input. It looks like we've both learned something!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back