Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Formatting a date and changing it to a text field

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goff

Technical User
Nov 29, 2002
GB
Hello everyone.

It's a while since I have had to work with access and i think the solution to this sould be incredibly easy but i'm still having problems wih this so would appriciate some help!

What i'm trying to do:

I'm trying to build an autoexecutable .mdb file that executes a query and then
I'm trying to convert a date of birth value from a table to a text field in the format ddmmyyyy (using 0's where approriate). For other reason's iMy query imports the relevant data from the sourcesHello everyone.

It's a while since I have had to work with access and I think the solution to this should be incredibly easy but I’m still having problems with this so would appreciate some help!

What I’m trying to do:

I'm trying to build an auto executable .mdb file that executes a query and then exports the query results to a .csv file on the local hard drive.

I have no problems creating the autoexec file or exporting the data but I’m having Field Type Issues.

Part of the CSV file I have to export requires me to show a date of birth field in ddmmyyyy format (using 0's where appropriate). To do this I have made my query into an append query that appends to an existing table. On this table I have changed the format of the filed to match the ddmmyyyy formatting required. However because Access is still treating this as a date when then table is exported to the CSV the field is formatted as dd/mm/yyyy HH:MM:SS.

What I need to do is to convert the ddmmyyyy formatted data to a text trring so that when it’s exported it remains in the ddmmyyyy format that I require.

I have searched the forums and people have had this problem but the other way around. Like I said if anyone could help me with this I’d really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance…..

Goff

Can you create a query and convert it there then export the query?

ProDev, MS Access Applications
Visit me at ==>
May God bless you beyond your imagination!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back