Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

formated floppy 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ridge

Technical User
Jan 31, 2000
US
I have a floppy disk that I have used many times... I have not saved any new data to it since the first time... I simply have aneed to use it as it is over & over...
I used it several times yesterday...no problem..
Then today, I insert it, and i get amessage that the disk is not formated... I know that in order to format a disk, I will lose all the data...
I have no clue to my my disk is saying this now. More importantly, is there any way to use my disk or format it without losing all the data?
I have tried it on 3 differant computers...

You can't format it and preserve the data, you can however attempt to recover the data from it using any Data recovery app out there, File Recovery, or something like that, and then format it once the data has been recovered if the floppy is still useable.

It might be that the disk just lost its magnetic properties and can no longer store data, in which case you'll need a new floppy.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back