Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Format table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hargreavesk

Technical User
Jul 18, 2001
GB
Hi,

I'm trying to use 90000 as a number field in one of my tables. I have formatted the field like \90000. This is fine and shows 900002, 900003, 900004 etc. However when I run a query to show data under a certain number, I cannot input the 9 - it disappears. Is there a reason for this? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any help...

Kate :eek:)

Hi Kate,

What is the certain number that you mention ?

Harpz

Harpz,

Thanks for replying. If I input say 900001, nothing will appear in the query. However, I input 00001 then the record will appear. In my table I have put the following in the format box: \90000. Is this correct?

Regards

Kate

Kate,

This is due to the fact that you are specifiying a maximum number of ninety thousand. I have just tried it in a table and discovered that if you type any number in below ninety thousand then it will just get prefixed with zeros and a nine. However, if you type any number in above ninety thousnad then the number will be just prefixed with a nine.

If you want a nine to prefix all of your data then just place the this in the format field - "\90000000". I imagine this will cover a majority of your numbers.

Harpz

Harpz,

I have tried what you have suggested but this is not working for me. It seems that my query is not finding the 9 in front of the numbers.

Sorry

Kate

Kate,

If you are trying it in a query and want a 9 to appear before all numbers then place \90000 in the fields format field.

We'll get it sorted mate !

Harpz

Harpz,

I have \90000 in the fields format field but when I go into the table and click on the record, instead of showing 90001 it only shows 0001. This is the same in the query. It seems to be omitting the 9.

Regards

Kate

Kate,

The reason this is happening is due to the fact that the fields value is actually 0001 and not 90001. You have got to remember that the 9 is only a formatting prefix. Try this - in the field name type in

FieldName : "9" & [FieldValue]

This syntax will prefix all of the values in this field with a nine.

Harpz

Harpz,

This has worked perfectly! Thankyou very much. I can't help thinking however, whether this may cause problems once the numbers move away from the 9's which they will more than likely do. Is there any way that you know of to create say a seperate table which keeps adding one each time a new record is opened? Sorry :eek:(

Regards

Kate :O)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back