Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Format Question With Multiple Groups 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ktwhite

Technical User
Mar 6, 2003
US
I have designed a financial report in Crystal 8.5 with four Hierarchal Groups. The report groups each Account Segment, and also includes a group for the Account Type (Revenue or Expense). The group order is as follows: Segment1 (Group1), Segment2 (Group2), Account Type (Group3), and finally (Group4) groups each parent account with a corresponding child for each account type, and subtotaling at the parent level. The report is programmed to begin a new page following each account type, so that revenue and expense accounts are on a separate page. In addition to separating the revenue and expense accounts, my goal is to instruct Crystal to begin a new page following a subtotal, (any subtotal) which will keep a group of child accounts together on the same page. I could include a new page following each subtotal, however this creates numerous pages, many of which contain only 2 to 3 records per page. I was hoping there was a way to instruct Crystal to begin a new page, following a specified number of records for example. Whatever the solution, I was hoping someone could explain how this is accomplished. Thanks!

You can select keep group together (i believe there are three places to set this) for that group. Then whenever the group will span pages, it will automatically go to a new page.

Lisa

Thank you again Lisa for the quick response. However, keeping the group together allows only one group per page. In a case where the group only has a few records, I would like the report to keep several groups of the same type on the same page as there is enough room. It seems that the solution involves limiting the number of records per page for the last group in terms of the hierarchy. So if what I am looking for is possible, any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Keeping the group together should not limit you to one group per page, unless that is all that will fit. It should allow multiple groups as long as they don't split. Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Expert's Guide to Formulas / Guide to Crystal in VB
- tek@kenhamady.com

Ok...I stand corrected. And thank you both (Lisa, Ken). I did have to make the "Keep Group Together" selection by accessing: Reports> Change Group Expert> Options, then check Keep Group Together. When I selected this option in the Section Expert only, it did not work with this particular report.

The section expert is to keep a single section together, not a group. A group is at least 3 sections (GH, GF and details between). Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Expert's Guide to Formulas / Guide to Crystal in VB
- tek@kenhamady.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back