Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

format of volser labels? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaronSamedi

Technical User
Aug 19, 2004
AU
I've recently purchased a Timberwolf 9730 tape library second-hand. I am a little confused as to the format the volser labels are meant to be. Can anybody tell me?

The manual only has the following clue:

"Data cartridges have a small letter next to the last number in the VOLSER
indicating the type. Cleaning and diagnostic cartridges have a two or three letter
prefix in the VOLSER. Correct labeling is:
• DLTtape IV data cartridges should have a “D” label
• DLTtape III data cartridges should have a “C” label
• DLTtape IIIXT data cartridges should have an “E” label
• Cleaning cartridges should have a “CLN” label
• Cartridges used for diagnostics should have a “DG” label (one supplied
with library). It should be applied to an empty (no data) data cartridge and
used for diagnostic routines."

Should the volser label then be a number format, with a letter in the prefix or the suffix (ie xxxxd or dxxxx)? What about the cleaning tapes?

I am all at sea on this and there appears to be nothing on the net about it.

I would much rather print my one, as the number of tapes is relatively small and as I am in Australia, suggesting I purchase labels from an American company is a little pointless - not that you were to know that.

STK normally is a 3of9 barcoded label.

Just search the web and download a 3of9 font for word.

The contents of the barcode depends on the type of tape drive/tape cartridge. That is what the C,D,L1,L2...etc is referencing.

For example an LTO Gen 1 label would be:

*AAAAAAL1*

where the 6 A's are either Alpha or numeric (and must be 6)
the L1 designates LTO Gen 1
the *'s just show the start and end for this label

If you, for instance, type the exact string above in word in an arial font then highlight and change to the 3of9 font you will see it converted to the proper barcode picture.

For generating this functional LTO Gen1 label I had to use a font size of 44 which made it the approximate size of the label area. My STK-L80 didn't have any problems reading this label.

HTH...Dale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back