Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Format Hardrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

m9d

Technical User
Jan 6, 2005
US
I am struggling to reformate my hardrive. I have my XP install disk, but the machine wont boot from the CD. If I select setup.exe, from the CD, I am told my current version of XP on the machine is newer than what is on the disk.

I need to wipe the drive and do a clean reinstall of XP, if anyone could help a PC novice, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

In order to start the XP install, you change folders to the i386 folder. There type winnt. This will start the install. HOWEVER, I do not believe this will allow you to format your HD.

in the bios is the boot order set cd,hd?
i did a friend computer over the week-end that wouldn't let me boot from cd (kept getting errors)..what i had to do was deleet partition with 98 boot disk then it booted without a problem..

she has a 15yo son,so the computer was all messed up..

hope this helps

I was able to find the BIOS and switched them to boot from the disc. I now have a new copy of XP on there, after formating the drive. I am putting Norton's back on, then I will be attemping to bang on it and see if it continues crashing for no reason. I figured that in my last attempt to reinstall XP, I tripped up somewhere, causing the system to be unstable and crash repeatedly. I was told it could be a memory problem as well, but hopefully this will solve the crashing problems. Hopefully testing it now with no programs installed will show me stability, and then I will start adding the programs. I thought maybe it could a problem with Windows SP2 security update, I am going to try and keep track of what order I install programs and updates, and see if I can make it crash again, before I move on to installing each program/update.

I tried to reformat and reinstall Windows XP for my cousin last weekend and got the exact same scenario as m9d. I realize the boot order needs to be changed, as my cousin's boots to C first. My concern is if I reinstall from the disk, what is this thing about the newer version on the drive as opposed to what is on the disk? I thought XP was XP--there are different versions? And why would Dell ship one version on the computer and provide a disk with an older version?

If it were my computer, I would go ahead and do it, but working on someone else's, you know what they say--No good deed goes unpunished.

UPDATE:
After booting from the disk, deleting the partition, creating a new one, formating the disk, installing XP, installing Norton's, installing all of the security updates, and installing Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0, testing the system with some image work, the machine is still crashing after about 15 minutes, no blue screen, just a reboot.

...Open to suggestions.

Okay...check out your event viewer.

Start\Run\Eventvwr

See what red x errors you have listed here and list any that read like a BSoD.

To see the BSoD, go to Properties on My Computer\Advanced\Settings (Startup and Recovery) and disable the reboot on critical error.

The default actio for XP after system failure is to reboot however this prevents the exact error to be viewed. rebooting manually.

Disabling the restart on system failure feature may permit the exact cause to be isolated: Right-click on My Computer, click Properties, click the Advanced tab. Under Startup & Recovery, click Settings. Under System Failure, uncheck the box in front of Automatically restart.

Another place to look is the Event Viewer in Admin. tools in the Control panel.

Look at the exact message after system crashing and the event viewer for any errors, you may find the clues to the crashing.

mtnest
the newer version is just because of updates from microsoft like maybe sp1 or 2

m9d
try starting over again but don't install norton,i've read some people having problems with norton..
running for 15min sounds like it could also be over heating, imaging is cpu intensive.. do you have any temp sensing ability in the bios? if so, is it set low,50c is kinda default, raise it to 60c and see if it hangs in there longer

intel says their cpu can run at 70c but don't go near that, i wouldn't leave it 60c if i where you, setting to 60c is just to help trouble shoot

hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back